Thursday, April 12, 2007

News from Elsewhere

We have Kate Marymont, editor of the Fort Myers News-Press in town for a few days. She gave a great talk on the University of Georgia campus Wednesday about Gannett's "Information Center" concept and how her paper is applying it. With a few minutes of spare time, I headed over to the News-Press web site and found this entry on where the cops are hiding out for the day.

Hmmm ... part of me likes knowing this, part of me wonders whether it's good to tell people where NOT to speed. All legal, but ... but ... I don't know ...

I took a look at their videos (which do not work with my version of Apple's Safari browser ... grrr) while on the site. One of them deals with a disabled veteran who competes in Olympic-style games. Reasonably well done ... but at the end, they flash a disabled veterans address, phone number and email info on the screen. Ummmm ...

Spend some time exploring the site. They're doing some neat things with "mojos" - mobile journalists who spend their days in neighborhoods, looking for stories and then posting them immediately to the web.

No comments: