Friday, May 16, 2008

Cover Shots

Khoi Vinh has a marvelous post up talking about album cover artwork. If you read through the comments, an interesting idea is pushed out ... that newer records need to rely on bolder designs that are readable at a smaller scale. And not just because we've moved from albums to CDs, but that we've now moved down to that little square in the corner of iTunes.

I admit to still having a sizable record collection - the big ones with black vinyl inside. I'll even admit to having turned a few of my favorite album covers into home-made posters when I was younger, including The Del Fuegos' Boston, Mass. and Foreigner's Agent Provocateur. Why? They were clean and evocative of ... well, whatever I was feeling in 1986, I suppose.

(Plus, who else but Dan Zanes could pen a line like, "I stayed awake last week ...?")

No comments: